Friday, May 25, 2007

Practices are ALMOST here!!!!

Hey everyone!

Well, this week has been hard...not only with getting back into the swing of work but also trying to find outfits for the Pageant! It is really hard to find a one-piece swimsuit that is ONE color...thank God I have friends who had some!

I was origanally going to do 2 County Fair Pageants but I was told I couldnt do both, so I had to drop out of one of them. It was really hard to do since both of them had their PRO'S and CON'S! I had to choose between Mercer County and Rock Island County. I decided on Rock Island, since it would help me with my future plans in competeing in Miss Mississippi Crown in the future!

So tonight was the first night I got to meet some of the girls who I'll be competeing against and of course our Director! She invited us over to watch a couple DVDs on the speechs that were given last year and at State. It is interesting to see the different styles of speeches and of course as time went on we learned what not to do and what to do when giving a speech!

Rule #1: NEVER EVER TALK LIKE YOU ARE READING OUT OF A BOOK!
Rule #2: DON'T DO AN ALPHABET SPEECH BECAUSE IT TAKES TOO LONG
Rule #3: DON'T GIVE A "BOOK REPORT" SPEECH
Rule #4: IT IS OKAY FOR A CONTESTANT TO PACE OR MOVE WHEN GIVING A SPEECH
Rule #5: IT IS ALWAYS A GOOD THING TO MAKE THE AUDIENCE LAUGH!!!
Rule #6: THE SPEECHES CAN BE FUN HOWEVER DONT MAKE THEM BORING!!
Rule #7: NEVER EVER MENTION THE SUBJECT (IE GRANDPA...ETC) 3 TIMES IN 5 SECONDS AND NO MORE THAN ONCE OR TWICE IN THE WHOLE SPEECH!


Those tips seemed helpful to me and to the other girls when it comes to making a speech and how to give a speech...general tips on how to do well on speeches is practice infront of the family or a large group of people!

No comments: